The Opening Ceremony of IMUN’s seventh edition took place this morning at the Auditorium of Via Della Conciliazione in Rome.
The congress was first held in 2011 with around 700 delegates, today it counts around 3000 delegates, coming from national and international schools.
The event was inaugurated and narrated by one of MIUR’s spokesman Lorenzo Micheli, the same person that introduced the topics which will be faced during the current week.
Through some examples using characters that made the history of humanity, such as Martin Luther King, Norman Thagard, Mohammed Ali, he wanted to explain to the students that people which believe in themselves, have willpower and a good will can make the difference in this world.
We all remembered Nelson Mandela, in 2018 he would have celebrated his one hundredth birthday, so the international community decided to organize an international peace summit in his honour.
The United Network organization, declared excellent ASL in 2016, offers the opportunity to show the qualities, capacities and talents of the most deserving students as granted by the words of the guest Simona Montesarchio, from the Ministry of Education, of University and Research.
Another guest who attended the ceremony was the Chief Editor of the web site Repubblica.it Angelo Melone. He made the audience understand the importance of law and freedom information through few words.
The delegates during these five days are going to discuss about specific thematics regarding the country assigned to them by United Network.
These are the committees:
- CCPCJ (Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice).
- DISEC (Disarmament and International Security).
- ECOFIN (Economic and Financial Affairs Council).
- FAO (Food and agriculture Organization) with a small presentation made by Heather Heaten, American diplomat working in the US embassy in Rome.
- LEGAL (Office of Legal Affairs).
- SOCHUM (Social, Humanitarian and Cultural Committee).
- SPECPOL (Special Political and Decolonization).
- UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization).
- UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner on Refugees).
- UNICEF (United Nations Children’s Fund).
- UNODC (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime).
- WHO (World Health Organization).
UN’s President Riccardo Messina expressed some words of thanks to the president of the Lazio Region Nicola Zingaretti, to the organisers, to larepubblica.it, to the representatives of the scholar offices of the Lazio Region De Angelis, to the teachers, to the staff and to all the participants.
Valeria Farinacci (Sanremo 2017) concluded this first day by singing two of her songs.
The students in the audience have shown interest, this year we’re surely going to reap the rewards.
Panella Emanuele Rosario